Skip to content

Small Business Accounting

We offer a range of everyday accounting services. Whether you’re a small business, self-employed, a contractor or a partner we’ll take care of all accounting and tax obligations, making sure your financial situation is the best it can be.

When you need more from an accountant, for less, you’re always better off with RIFT.

Our accountants are ACCA, AAT and ATT qualified and our Client Advisors have the specialist knowledge, background and skills to make sure that small businesses get great value from our advice and support.

Get on with what you do best and we’ll get on with what we do best – making sure your accounts are all correct, up to date and filed on time.

We’ll help you solve problems and capitalise on opportunities, improving the financial position of your business. We’ll ensure everything is as tax efficient as it can be – giving you more profit to put back into growth.

We can work with you on whatever accounting software package you use, including Xero, QuickBooks, Sage, FreeAgent, KashFlow and many more.


Our Services

At RIFT we take everything into account.

We help all kinds of people to prepare their tax returns, file company accounts and manage payroll. We also offer a range of specialist services such as advice on IR35 and personal taxation.

Our experts are here to make sure all your filings are correct and up to date.


Making Tax Preparation Count

At RIFT we believe that the smallest business should have the same access to accounting expertise as the biggest. We want to give you the time back to put into your business, to achieve your goals, to live your life. Enjoy the peace of mind that comes with us taking care of your paperwork and number crunching while you do something worthwhile.

Why Choose Us?

ACCA and AAT Certified Accountants

Our specialists have a range of qualifications from the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) and the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA). Our team follows the bylaws, regulations and ethical guidelines of the ACCA.

Members of the ATT

Our staff who undertake compliance work are members of the ATT (Association of Taxation Technicians), which means they are qualified by examination and practical experience. They commit to the highest standards of professional conduct and ensure that their tax knowledge is constantly kept up to date. Members also use their practical experience and knowledge to contribute to consultations on the development of the UK tax system and seek to ensure that, for the general public, it is workable and as fair as possible.

RIFT Recommends

Frequently Asked Questions

If you can’t find the answer you need below, please get in touch.

Having an accountant frees up your time so you can focus on your business.

They will have spent years becoming qualified in all the complexities of tax rules and regulations, and know how to apply them correctly and effectively for your business.

In basic terms, an accountant can handle key functions such as bookkeeping and filing your returns on time.

As your business grows, your accountant’s input will become more significant, covering essential areas like:

  • Financial reporting
  • Compliance
  • Payroll
  • Tax efficiency
  • Business planning

An accountant can save you money in many areas by increasing tax efficiency, improving cash flow and providing you with the reliable financial information you need to make informed decisions.

If you choose an accountant or other tax advice professional to manage your tax affairs with HMRC, they are known as your “tax agent”.

You sign a form to authorise them to work with HMRC on your behalf. You can remove this permission at any time, for example if you decide to change accountants.

HMRC has very high standards for legal compliance from anyone who offers to represent or give advice to taxpayers. This means your tax agent will need to:

  • Maintain correct and up-to-date knowledge of the areas of tax that they deal with
  • Work to prevent errors in their clients’ tax calculations or claims, taking particular care not to include figures in returns or claims which are not sustainable
  • Advise their clients to take steps to set matters right where they find errors in their tax affairs (if the errors go uncorrected, this could be seen as enabling tax evasion and subject to criminal investigation)
  • Be fully compliant with data protection law and regulations, including keeping online access credentials safe from unauthorised use at all times
  • Maintain the security of their systems and their HMRC account credentials against current threats
  • Fully comply with tax law and regulations relating to their professional activity, including registering under, and adhering to, the Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017
  • Ensure that their own tax affairs are correct and up to date
  • Deal courteously and professionally with HMRC staff
  • Disclose all relevant information to HMRC
  • Act lawfully and with integrity at all times and not suggesting or implying that HMRC endorses or regulates their role as an agent

We work closely with HMRC on an on-going basis as they develop the regulation around the services that tax agents provide.

HMRC allows you to authorise someone to manage your tax online. If this is a friend or family member they can register as “trusted helper”.

Your trusted helper can:

  • Check you’re paying the right amount of Income Tax
  • Check or update your personal tax account
  • Claim a tax refund
  • Check or update your company car tax

You’ll still be legally responsible for your own tax.

If you use a “trusted helper” then you must be aware that, even with the best intentions, it can be hard for someone who is not a qualified tax professional to keep up to date with all current legislation changes, requirements and deadlines.

If you use a friend or family member it’s your responsibility to check they understand and comply with all aspects of your tax responsibilities as you are completely liable for any errors.

Not being compliant can lead to all sorts of complications, including penalty fines and even criminal proceedings.

Yes, many people do their own personal and small business tax returns.

If you’re confident you can get your head around the legislation and have the time to liaise directly with HMRC, you can do your own tax returns and submit them online.

However, if you don’t apply the rules correctly or miss deadlines you could find yourself with a fine, penalty or HMRC enquiry.

It’s like getting your car fixed. Some people can do it themselves already, lots of people could learn to do it but they prefer to have an expert do it because:

  • They want to be 100% certain nothing goes wrong
  • They don’t have time to do all the paperwork or wait on the phone to HMRC
  • Although they are good with figures they don’t have time to keep up with all the changing rules and legislation that could trip them up

Our head office is based in Ashford in Kent, United Kingdom.

Most of our customers prefer to use our services remotely, so we can help you wherever you are in the world.

Please visit our Contact Page if you’d like to get in touch.

We have a range of different services tailored to your needs, starting from £150 +VAT for personal tax returns.

Please have a look at our Services Page to see the different pricing options.

Some services are listed as POA as we will need to give you a quote based on your particular needs. We do this so you don’t end up paying for services you don’t need as part of a “package”.

If you aren’t sure exactly what you need for your business or personal situation then just give us a no-obligation call and we’ll be happy to tell you how we can help..

Thanks for your enquiry.

Look out for a welcome text and email from our specialist Tax Refunds Division with information on how to get started.

We look forward to helping you.

Thank you for your enquiry. One of our team will be in touch very soon.